Saturday, September 6, 2008

WTF?

Today was BEAUTIFUL! The sun was shining, not a cloud in the sky, and it was in the high 60's. Mike had to work a little in the a.m. but we were ready and waiting at 12:30. I found a park that looked really cool in a book, and not too far from the house, for us to visit so we headed out. And can you believe this crazy city has NO STREET SIGNS! Oh sorry, reverse a bit, Mike now has an embassy car he can drive so we were on our own. I'm beginning to think cabs are easier. All the streets "signs" are on the buildings, really addresses, and often don't give all the streets. Confusing, I know. So let's just say I live on Calle 92 with a cross street of Carrera 11 my address would be Calle 92 No 11-16. The -16 part is how far my building is from the corner of 92 and 11. But some buildings will only have the No 11-16 part so you don't know what the Calle is. Are you with me? If not then you know how I felt driving around. Hmm that corner was 92 and 11th so 9th should be 2 blocks down, oh wait no that's 10B... what? Sooooo frustrating!!! Whose grand idea was that? We did finallly find the park. Should have taken about 15 min from our house but instead it took an hour! The kids had fallen asleep and I was really hungry from no lunch. Then my new friend I. calls and asks if we are coming over. Again I am confused. We had talked about doing dinner but it was only 2 pm. Guess we got our wires crossed somewhere. So we went to her house, which is waaaay nicer than mine and mine is pretty darn nice. Food and friendship was great, kids played with her teenage son on the drums etc and all was well. Tomorrow we are gonna try the park again. This time we know where it is... I think...

2 comments:

Kalyn said...

OMG!!!! How confusing. I stayed (not lived) in Cuernavaca Mexico for 3 months- and the addresses were kind of similar. It was SOOOO confusing!! Keep up the good work- and they always say you learn your streets faster by getting lost in them- but is that actually safe to do there???

Jess said...

I hope the Japanese are more fastidious with their street organization. I get easily turned around until I get familiar with the area. I am guessing the foreign language thrown in will only facilitate my confusion.