Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Believe it or not...

We asked to extend for 1 more year. But that's not the crazy part. I never cease to be amazed at the Marine Corps. Ok, so like I said Mike asked to extend for a year. The guy running the show didn't seem to crazy about the idea. He thinks the program needs a better rep and therefore wants Marines to return to the fleet after 2 years and use their experiences to help the Corps and also to enlighten more Marines about the program and it's utility. Sounds good but... why not let someone with experience stay one more year? and, oh by the way, it costs approximately $80 k to get us here! Think about it... 1 year of language and attache training for BOTH of us, storing our stuff for 2 years, shipping our stuff including 1 vehicle, plane tickets, hotels etc, etc, etc. Big money for DIA. They are on our side, of course, as is the DAT (he's the head guy in the office here) so we'll see.

Now some of you may be asking why in the world would we extend?! The answer is really quite simple: a. we've NEVER lived anywhere for more than 2 years b. Max is NOT adapting well and if we leave after 2 that will be 3 schools in 3 years for the poor guy. He is like his Mama, change makes him unhappy c. we are all just beginning to learn Spanish. Max can actually speak in short sentences, not grammatically correct but still. Even his teacher is impressed! d. Mike is gonna retire after this so we decided to make the most of our experience and finally e. I can make HUGE, and I do mean HUGE, sums of cash here as an SLP that we can save to buy our dream house in DC or SD after this. But I don't plan on working 'til next year so let's hope the jobs I'm aware of are still available. Whatever, I need to acclimate and learn Spanish first!

So who do you think is crazy, us or the Corps?

3 comments:

Steph said...

We have a Marine Corps in Canada? So confused! :)

But I'm not surprised by all of this. The MC doesn't always make the smartest decisions! I don't think you are crazy - I think you are enjoying your experience...I have my fingers crossed the the MC comes through for you! :)

Liz said...

OMG Steph! That is HILARIOUS!!! I had to read it twice to get it, smarty pants! HAHA =)

And, dude, Michelle if you can stay, STAY! You aren't crazy. At least not about this. *grin*

Jess said...

That is an easy question, BOTH!!
Love ya, Michelle. Really though, I hope you can stay. What a cool way to go out.