So one of the grocery stores, well not really a grocery store more like a Super Walmart, was found to have explosive devices inside - a gift from the FARC. I believe the store found the explosive rather than experienced them. The stores here are really good about that. You cannot park in any of the garages without having security check your car for bombs with devices and dogs. Although I believe these particular devices were IN the store not a vehicle. They watch people coming and going as well but don't personally check each person. This particular store is not near my house and therefore I have only been there once. However, there was a second incident, this one TWO BLOCKS from my house, and the devices were detonated. The details on that are kind of fuzzy for me because a. my spanish still sucks (but no worries my class starts in a few minutes) and b. sometimes the news or my hubby only has partial info. Again this was a FARC attack. The good news is that from all accounts the FARC are hurting bad - hence the attacks. They are losing territory and people at a rapid rate. My hubby indicated that depending on the next Pres. here the FARC could REALLY be in trouble in 2-3 years. Let's all hope that comes to fruition. I'll search for some articles on these events after my class. For now the Embassy has initiated a series of courses, that are mandatory for personnel but available for family members, on safety and what to do in case of attacks near you or, God forbid, you are kidnapped. I'm hoping to attend next week.
Now you all have a WONDERFUL day. I am always here if you want more light hearted reading ;o)
Friday, September 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Um...how long are you gonna live there? I will try not to be so scared for you. Wow.
WOW. You life makes me think of the movie "Man Under Fire" Except you aren't black, you aren't a man, you don't have a bodyguard (or do you?) and your daughter hasn't been kidnapped. On second though- maybe your life doesn't resemble that movie at all....
never mind.
ten cuidado siempre, amiga.
Post a Comment