Friday, September 19, 2008

Listen carefully!

Hubby: Tienen pintura en su vida. (You have paint on your face.)
Me: Face is cara.
Hubby: No that's expensive.
Me: No expensive is carro (with a trilled "r").
Hubby: Then what's car?
Maria (empleada, laughing): face is cara, expensive is carro, and car is caro.

We are all repeating and she is correcting our "r's". You must be careful in spanish because a small difference can be HUGE.

For example:

Mama with stress on the first syllable is a boob but mama with the stress on the second is your mom. Papa with stress on the first a potato and papa with stress on the second is your dad. Very tricky! We even went over some with three syllables and each time you moved the tilde, accent mark, it was a different word! My English ears have a hard time hearing the difference I just use context but the listener can sure give me quizzical looks if I don't say it right!

2 comments:

Morgan said...

We do that kind of stuff in English, too. We just don't notice it because it's natural to us.

wound/wound
produce/produce
refuse/refuse
lead/lead
does/does
close/close
wind/wind
tear/tear
intimate/intimate


Those are all totally different words. Crazy, huh? (why am I saying this to you, of all people? - I'm silly sometimes)

Our Family of Four said...

LOL Morgan. I know what you mean but it is a bit different because the vowels change sounds i.e. "woo nd" versus "wow nd". But it does help with perspective. Also the homophones - those must drive foreigners CRAZY!